Fire Fighting in Canada

Headlines News
Boat fire causes fuel leak

June 4, 2010, Islandview, N.S. - Firefighters in a hazardous materials response crew placed a boom around the charred remains of a burned out pleasure boat leaking what was thought to be a small amount of diesel fuel into the Bras d’Or Lake, Thursday afternoon.

June 4, 2010 
By The Canadian Press

The Cape Breton Regional Fire Service HazMat crew was working to
contain fuel around what little remained of the 42-foot Tiffany Lynn
which sat in the water next to a fire-damaged dock in the Islandview

Gary Kaiser, assistant deputy chief of the HazMat team, said fuel
tanks aboard the boat were thought to contain about 250 gallons of
diesel fuel but it looked like only a relatively small amount had
leaked into the lake.

“Most of this will evaporate,” he said. “This is relatively small.”


A coast guard marine pollution response team was also expected to respond to the fire scene.

A first boom had already been placed around the boat by HazMat team
members who first responded to the fire early Thursday morning.

Deputy fire marshal Vince Penny said the boat will have to be lifted
out of the water before it will be possible to determine a cause for
the fire.

“This is going to be a long drawn-out process,” he said.

Boat owner George Sweeney, who wasn’t at his home across the
Eskasoni Highway when the fire started, said the vessel was insured.

Fire Chief Blaise MacLean of the East Bay Volunteer Fire Department
which was still at the scene Thursday afternoon said his department
made three separate trips to the  scene as the fire kept breaking out
throughout Wednesday night and early Thursday morning.

Fire departments from Eskasoni and Northside East Bay were already
fighting the blaze when the East Bay department first showed up at
about 10:30 p.m. Wednesday. MacLean said his department was called back
when the blaze broke out again at 2 a.m. and again at 5 a.m.

Fires were probably breaking out again as leaking fuel came into contact with hot spots, he figured.

“She just kept flaring up and flaring up.”

Const. Jim Taylor of the Cape Breton Regional Police forensic
identification unit who was investigating the fire scene also thought
the boat would have to come out of the water before he could complete
his probe.

Print this page


Stories continue below