June 7, 2011, Waterloo, Ont. – Construction workers using welding equipment accidentally caused a blaze on the fourth floor of a University of Waterloo Engineering building yesterday afternoon.
June 7, 2011 By City of Waterloo
June 7, 2011, Waterloo, Ont. – Waterloo Fire Rescue responded to a fire at 1:06 p.m. at the University of Waterloo Engineering building, located at 263 Phillip St., that is currently under construction.
Construction workers using welding equipment accidentally caused the blaze, which they initially tried to control with fire extinguishers. When these efforts were unsuccessful, they called 911.
Arriving firefighters found the fire in the area of a fume hood and duct work and they were able to bring the blaze under control quickly.
No injuries were reported and the initial dollar loss to the equipment is estimated at $30,000. University of Waterloo Police, Region of Waterloo EMS and Box 690 Canteen responded to the scene.
Print this page