Fire Fighting in Canada

Headlines News
Discarded cigarette blamed for house fire in Moncton, N.B.

July 17, 2013, Moncton, N.B. – A cigarette that ignited mulch in a flower bed is being blamed for a fire that caused extensive damage to a New Brunswick home Tuesday.

July 17, 2013
By The Canadian Press

July 17, 2013, Moncton, N.B. – A cigarette that ignited mulch in a flower bed is being blamed for a fire that caused extensive damage to a New Brunswick home Tuesday.

The fire on Colonial Drive in Moncton broke out shortly before 6 p.m.

Platoon Chief Paul Bruens of the Moncton fire department says the mulch caught fire, which spread to the home's siding and into the roof and attic area.

One woman was taken to hospital to be treated for smoke inhalation, though her injuries are not believed to be serious.

Advertisment

The split-level home also includes a basement apartment.

In all, four adults and two children have been left temporarily homeless.