Fire Fighting in Canada

Headlines News
Electrical issue caused Newfoundland municipal building fire

Oct. 19, 2012, Irishtown-Summerside, N.L. – RCMP say a fire that destroyed a municipal building Thursday in western Newfoundland was caused by an electrical malfunction in a wall. 

October 19, 2012
By The Canadian Press

Oct. 19, 2012, Irishtown-Summerside, N.L. – RCMP say a fire that
destroyed a municipal building Thursday in western Newfoundland was
caused by an electrical malfunction in a wall.

Flames were spotted coming from the Irishtown-Summerside, N.L., community hall around 3 a.m.

The wooden building, which housed the town office as well as space for
meetings and recreational activities, was located next door to the fire
hall.

But by the time firefighters arrived on the scene, the building was engulfed and could not be saved.

Advertisment

Mayor Clarence Diamond showed up around 4 a.m. to see the damage for himself.

He says most town records are backed up and stored outside the office, though some older, paper documents are likely lost.