Oct. 10, 2013, Elliot Lake, Ont. - Hearings into last year's deadly collapse of a mall in Elliot Lake, Ontario have wrapped up.
October 10, 2013 By The Canadian Press
Inquiry commissioner Pierre Belanger will now wade through almost 29,000 pages of transcripts and 11,000 exhibits.
His recommendations are expected early next year, likely in March.
The final witness yesterday was former premier Dalton McGuinty, who called for the judicial inquiry.
He said he found it "shocking'' to learn rescuers had given up searching for survivors because the unstable mall was too dangerous.
He said he had no reason to believe the rescue effort would have continued without his intervention.
The collapse of the Algo Centre Mall on June 23rd, 2012 killed two women — 74-year-old Doloris Perizzolo and 37-year-old Lucie Aylwin.
Print this page