Nov. 8, 2009, Trail, B.C. - Fire crews are still on the scene of an explosion and fire at a battery recycling and electronic waste plant south of Trail, B.C.
November 8, 2009
By The Canadian Press
The RCMP says the fire started in a small underground building at the Toxco plant about 5 p.m. Saturday, causing stored lithium batteries to explode.
Flames spread to plastic and cardboard bundles at a recycling company next door.
RCMP Constable Dave Dyball says both fires are now under control.
No one was injured and the cause of the fire is unknown.
Toxco's operations manager Cathy Bruce says the sulphur dioxide gas that had been given off during the fire did not pose any risk to the public as it dissipated into the atmosphere.
Print this page