Hot spots remain in N.S. brush fire

June 17, 2008
Written by The Canadian Press
June 17, 2008, Lake Echo, N.S. — Firefighters were working Tuesday on the remaining hot spots from a brush fire that forced 5,000 residents to flee their homes in a rural, wooded area east of Halifax.


RCMP believe the wind-whipped blaze started Friday in
Lake Echo, N.S., and spread quickly, threatening subdivisions and consuming about 1,900 hectares.


Jennifer Glavin, a spokeswoman for the Department of Natural Resources, said the fire was considered stable, but 50 firefighters remained on the ground.


"We still have helicopters working in the area and a . . . water bomber from
Newfoundland standing by if we need it," said Glavin.


"So basically it's stable, but we're still being very cautious."


Flames levelled two houses in the Mineville area and damaged at least a half dozen other properties.


The stiff winds that had been fuelling the fire subsided Sunday, allowing most of the evacuees to return to their properties that night.


No injuries were reported.


The other evacuees were permitted to go home Monday after fire officials deemed their neighbourhoods were not in any danger.


RCMP Cpl. Joe Taplin said investigators looking into the cause of the fire are focusing on a logging road and makeshift campsite north of a trailer park in
Lake Echo.


"(Investigators) have interviewed a few potential witnesses, or people who were in around that area when the fire started."

Subscription Centre

 
New Subscription
 
Already a Subscriber
 
Customer Service
 
View Digital Magazine Renew

Most Popular


We are using cookies to give you the best experience on our website. By continuing to use the site, you agree to the use of cookies. To find out more, read our Privacy Policy.