Fire Fighting in Canada

Headlines News
Laptop fire destroys three RVs

Aug. 2, 2012, Killarney, Man. - RCMP say an overheated laptop appears to be responsible for a fire that burned several trailers at a campground in southwestern Manitoba.

August 2, 2012
By The Canadian Press

Aug. 2, 2012, Killarney, Man. – RCMP say an overheated laptop appears to be responsible for a fire that burned several trailers at a campground in southwestern Manitoba.

Cpl. Scott Fefchak of the Killarney RCMP says the laptop was apparently left sitting on a carpet while it was charging.

No one was in that trailer, but a man, woman and their pet bird narrowly escaped when the flames spread to their unit.

Larry Duncan says he was awoken about 4:30 a.m. by another camper banging on his door and telling him to get out.

Advertisment

He and his wife Duncan and his wife left, but Duncan then had to break a window to rescue their pet bird when he realized the animal had been left behind.

No one was in the three other trailers that burned.

Officials say if you're going to be away for an extended period of time, it's best to unplug as many devices and appliances as possible.

Duncan says he doesn't blame his neighbours for the fire, saying it could have happened to anyone.