By The Canadian Press
Nov. 25, 2014, Riviere-du-Loup, Que. - The fire chief in the Quebec town of L'Isle-Verte is defending his decisions and his team's work in fighting a blaze at a seniors' home last January that killed 32 people.
Yvan Charron appeared before a coroner's inquest today into the tragedy.
Charron says he called in reinforcements after arriving at the Residence du Havre – or 19 minutes after the first distress call – because that's the way things were done in L'Isle-Verte.
He said he was expecting to find the building's residents outside when he arrived, even though a 911 dispatcher had already told him they were locked in and couldn't see anything because of thick smoke.
The testimony at coroner Cyrille Delage's inquest is expected to end Wednesday.