April 13, 2008 Quebec - Quebec City's mayor wants a firm commitment from the Conservative government that the Voltigeurs de Quebec drill hall, razed in a blaze last week, will be rebuilt by next year.
April 13, 2008 By The Canadian Press
Regis Labeaume visited the charred rubble of Canada's oldest French-language military regiment's 121-year-old armoury on Sunday.
Fire swept through the landmark hall on April 4.
Labeaume, flanked by former Quebec City mayors Jean Pelletier and Gilles Lamontagne, said he was dismayed as he toured the ruins for the first time since returning from a trip to France.
Officials have estimated as much as 90 per cent of the archives were saved from the blaze, including statues, flags and documents that went as far back as the Northwest Rebellion led by Louis Riel in 1885, and the first and second world wars.
Labeaume called on Prime Minister Stephen Harper to oversee the reconstruction of the heritage building himself.
He also called on Harper to reassure Quebec City residents that the building would be rebuilt within one year.
The armoury, overlooking the Plains of Abraham, was under renovations at the time of the blaze.
Labeaume, who has had discussions with the Prime Minister's Office, wants a quick, clear decision on rebuilding plans.
The mayor says the majority of Quebec City residents want to see the armoury, a key part of Quebec City's heritage, rebuilt.
Print this page