Photo by John RiddellPallbearers and colleagues of fallen Toronto Fire District Chief Bob Leek attend the full department honours funeral held Friday afternoon in Toronto. Leek was found without vital signs at the scene of the spectacular Sunrise Propane explosion a few days previous while working the scene in a supporting role.
Photo courtesy Ryan LeBlancDistrict Chief Bob Leek, centre, is remembered by former student Ryan LeBlanc as a mentor who always had time for his students, his friends and his colleagues.
Aug. 10, 2008, Toronto -The Toronto Fire Services district chief who died Sunday while surveying damage from a massive propane explosion, was a warm and giving man who always found time to help young recruits. Ryan LeBlanc, a former student of Chief Leek’s and a longtime friend, shares his memories of his mentor.
| Photo by John Riddell
Toronto firefighters battled a six-alarm blaze early Sundayl
morning at a propane facility.
Aug. 10, 2008, Toronto - Vivid orange balls of fire lit up the early morning sky Sunday as a series of massive explosions at a north Toronto propane facility set off a chaotic scene with terrified residents running from homes damaged by fire and shattered glass.
Augt. 5, 2008, Kingston, Ont. - One man is dead after a cottage fire in North Frontenac, Ont., over
the weekend. The victim hasn't been identified, said North Frontenac Fire Chief Steve
Riddell, but he was with family at the summer retreat on Kashwakamak Lake
southeast of Ardoch at the time of the fire. The Kingston Whig Standard reports. READ MORE
Aug, 3, 2008, Windsor, Ont. - Being directly across the street from a fire hall was not enough to save two Tecumseh homes.But on Friday, the deputy chief of the town's volunteer fire department was defending its response to the blaze. As the Windsor Star reports, Doug Pitre, who lives across the street from the site of the fire, got there before firefighters arrived but said it was already too late. READ MORE
July 30, 2008, Pembroke, Ont. - In the wake of the tragic deaths of a father and two children in an Essex, Ont., mobile home, local fire departments say smoke alarms will save lives no matter the type of dwelling. As the Pembroke Daily Observer reports, the Pembroke Fire Department has been stopping every home entering the trailer park and checking for working smoke detectors before visitors register in the park. READ MORE
July 28, 2008, Hay River, N.W.T. - Firefighters are pulling more tools out of their arsenal to keep a forest fire away from Sandy Lake, N.W.T.
July 23, 2008, Vancouver - Firefighting authorities say Edgewood is safe from the wildfire burning less
than two kilometres way, but they're not taking any chances."We are taking all precautions necessary should this situation change," fire
information officer Adam Brayford said yesterday. As the Vancouver Province reports, the blaze has grown to about 160 hectares since it was started by an
abandoned campfire on July 17. READ MORE
Weekend blaze guts Treherne Food StoreFeb. 25, 2019, Treherne, Man. - The Treherne Food Store burned…
Volunteer departments can apply for free turnout gearThe 2019 application period for MSA’s annual Globe Gear Giveaway…
Neighbours rescue man from apartment blazeMar. 11, 2019, Niagara Falls, Ont. - An elderly Niagara Falls…
Fire destroys Alma restaurant and variety storeMar. 11, 2019, Alma, N.B. - A popular restaurant and variety…
Firehouse World Exposition and Conference
March 25-28, 2019
OAFC Annual Northeastern Fire Education Conference
March 29-30, 2019
Fire Department Instructors Conference
April 8-13, 2019
Fire Services Association of Nova Scotia conference
April 12-19, 2019