Headlines
Written by The Canadian Press
Dec. 27, 2008, Kinistino, Sask. - The chief executive of a large farm equipment dealership in Saskatchewan said that damage is in the millions after a blaze destroyed the business.
Written by The Calgary Herald
Dec. 18, 2008, Calgary - More than two-thirds of Albertans don't believe they'll ever face a house fire, 90 per cent are comfortable with their risk levels and it often takes a destructive blast a few doors down for someone to start thinking seriously about routinely checking a smoke detector's battery. The Calgary Herald reports. | READ MORE
Written by The Lindsay Post
Dec. 18, 2008, Lindsay, Ont. - Some 33 per cent of residential fires reported by the office of the Ontario Fire Marshal are associated with electrical distribution equipment, according to Ontario's Electrical Safety Authority. The Lindsay Post reports. | READ MORE
Written by The North Bay Nugget
Dec. 18, 2008, North Bay, Ont. - Best wishes were broadcast across the city's emergency airwaves Wednesday afternoon, bidding farewell to a veteran firefighter hanging up his helmet after nearly 40 years on the job. The North Bay Nugget reports. | READ MORE
Written by The Montreal Gazette
Dec. 18, 2008, Montreal - An explosion and five-alarm fire overnight have largely destroyed a commercial-residential building and snarled traffic. The Montreal Gazette reports. | READ MORE
Written by Carey Fredericks
dec._16_five_alarm
                                                  Photo by John Riddell
Dec.17, 2008, Toronto - Toronto firefighters had to trench down through the roof to put out fire in the walls of a smoked meat-packing plant Wednesday afternoon. The fire was discovered at 2:22 p.m. Deputy Chief Terry Boyko said five alarms were needed in order to rotate firefighters in the cold and icy conditions. 
Written by The Winnipeg Sun
Dec. 16, 2008, Assiniboia, Sask. - A stubborn fire has razed a landmark hotel in southwest Saskatchewan and forced guests and neighbouring residents to leave the area. The Winnipeg Sun reports. | READ MORE
Written by Halifax Chronicle Herald
Dec. 16, 2008, Sydney Mines, N.S. - A father-of-four died in the wee hours of Sunday morning after going back into his burning home while his family waited outside. As the Halifax Chronicle Herald reports, firefighters found Russell MacDonald, 44, in a bedroom upstairs next to one of the family's dogs, deputy fire marshal Paul MacCormick said. | READ MORE
Written by National Post
Dec.16, 2008, Toronto - Firefighters rescued a teenage boy, and at least one pet dog, after a high-rise fire Monday afternoon. The National Post reports. READ MORE
Written by CityTV
Dec. 12, 2008, Toronto - Conservative MPP Ernie Hardeman is introducing a private member's bill to require carbon monoxide detectors in all homes after the death this week of a Woodstock, Ont., family. CityTV reports. READ MORE
Written by Pembroke Daily Observer
Dec. 12, 2008, Petawawa, Ont. - A consultant's report on the the possible relocation of one of the town's fire stations will be available by the new year. As the Pembroke Daily Observer reports, the protective services committee was told this week that fire specialist Peter Rose visited several potential sites in November. READ MORE
Written by CNW
Dec. 8, 2008, Toronto - Fire Marshal Pat Burke and Toronto Fire Services vices Chief Bill Stewart are determined to get a grip on cooking fires by demonstrating ways to reduce these types of fires in Ontario. The push to combat cooking fires comes as the province sees a rise in the numberof fires and prepares to enter the holiday season, the deadliest time of year for home fires.
Written by The North Bay Nugget
Dec. 8, 2008, North Bay, Ont. - An accidental fire caused $460,000 in damage to a home Sunday night. As the North Bay Nugget reports, fire and emergency services arrived at the house shortly after 4 p. m. to find it engulfed in flames. Family members were in the basement of the executive- style home at the time of the fire. They escaped to a neighbour's house uninjured. READ MORE
Written by Halifax Chronicle Herald
Dec. 3, 2008, Halifax - Stacey Shiwak’s tired eyes welled up with tears Tuesday as she thought about the electrical fire that ravaged the floor she lived on in a south-end Halifax apartment building the day before. As the Halifax Chronicle Herald reports, Ms. Shiwak said the trauma of knowing a blaze was burning next door is still raw and that she plans to speak to a counsellor "to get past the hard stage." READ MORE
Written by The Canadian Press
Dec. 1, 2008, Halifax - An off-campus residence for students at Dalhousie University in Halifax has been damaged by an early morning fire.
Written by Draeger Safety Inc.
Nov. 21, 2008, Pittsburgh - Draeger Safety, Inc. is countering what it believes are unsubstantiated allegations from Sperian Respiratory Protection USA (formerly Bacou-Dalloz USA) of a patent infringement on the popular Draeger PSS7000 SCBA (Self-Contained Breathing Apparatus) used by firefighters.
Written by The Toronto Star
Nov. 21, 2008, Toronto - York Regional police have charged a woman with arson in connection with a house fire that left 12 people homeless yesterday. As the Toronto Star reports, at 5 p.m. yesterday, police evacuated an apartment complex after a house fire was reported. READ MORE
Written by Saskatoon StarPhoenix
Nov. 20, 2008, Saskatoon - Several Saskatoon fire crews responded to a blaze at a lumber yard in the city on Wednesday night. As the StarPhoenix reports, around 7:45 p.m., crews from four fire halls were dispatched to Burron Lumber after a number of 911 calls reported heavy black smoke coming from the main building, says Saskatoon Fire and Protective Services battalion chief Mike Volk. | READ MORE
Written by Regina Leader-Post
Nov. 19, 2008, Regina - Two west-end residents are being called heroes by a homeowner after they helped rescue six people and four pets from a garage fire that was growing out of control. As the Leader-Post reports, Bryce Nelson, whose attached garage burned down early Monday, is singing the praises of his longtime Holiday Park neighbours, April Knight and her common-law partner, Stephen Townsend.  |  READ MORE
Written by St. Catharines Standard
Nov. 17, 2008, Grimsby, Ont. - Niagara Regional Police are treating a Saturday morning car fire in Grimsby that caused $70,000 damage as suspicious. As the St. Catharines Standard reports, police say a mother and her two children were awakened by the smell of smoke at about 2:30 a. m. Saturday. READ MORE

Subscription Centre

 
New Subscription
 
Already a Subscriber
 
Customer Service
 
View Digital Magazine Renew

Most Popular


We are using cookies to give you the best experience on our website. By continuing to use the site, you agree to the use of cookies. To find out more, read our Privacy Policy.