Fire Fighting in Canada

Headlines News
Quebec family hospitalized with carbon monoxide poisioning

Dec. 30, 2011, Gatineau, Que. - Emergency officials say a Gatineau, Que., family is in hospital with carbon monoxide poisoning due to a leak in their home.

December 30, 2011
By The Canadian Press

Firefighters say two adults and two children reported experiencing headaches, but all were conscious when emergency crews arrived.

They say the call came around 4:30 a.m. from a home on Jeanne d'Arc Street.

Fire chief Scott Killeen says technicians performed tests and found a significant presence of carbon monoxide inside the house.

He says they turned off the gas in the home and are working to identify the source of the leak.

Advertisment

Officials couldn't immediately say if the family had a carbon monoxide detector, but they are urging all residents to install them.

Carbon monoxide is a toxic but odourless and colourless gas often linked to gas-powered tools, heaters and cooking equipment.

Symptoms of carbon monoxide poisoning include headaches, lightheadedness and confusion.

Exposure to the gas can be fatal.


Print this page

Related



Leave a Reply

Your email address will not be published. Required fields are marked *

*