Spruce Grove Fire Services earns top marks in national accreditation review
January 10, 2023 By FFIC Staff
Jan. 10, 2023, Spruce Grove, Alta. – Spruce Grove Fire Services earned a score of 99.3 per cent and the title of “Accredited with Exemplary Standing”, following a comprehensive review by Accreditation Canada, an independent health care accreditation organization.
The four-day review took place in November 2022 and involved observing staff on the job, interviews with staff, patients and families, and a review of documentation and files. The evaluation was based on several criteria including emergency preparedness, client-centred services, decision making, communication, safety culture and work environment.
The accreditation decision is based on compliance with standards which are scored as ‘met’ or ‘unmet’. Of a possible 296 standards, Spruce Grove Fire Services met 276, while 18 were deemed not applicable to the department. The total percentage of standards met was determined to be 99.3 per cent, resulting in an accreditation decision of “Accredited with Exemplary Standing”. As quoted in the final report, “the organization has attained the highest level of performance, achieving excellence in meeting the requirements of the accreditation program.”
Among the attributes of Spruce Grove Fire Services as highlighted by the accreditation surveyors:
- Integration of fire and emergency services where all firefighters are fully trained paramedics and deliver high quality EMS service to the community.
- Internal firefighter and paramedic training programs.
- Consolidated organizational structure with Spruce Grove Enforcement Services.
- In-house, trained mechanics and equipment bays for vehicle repair.
- Diverse and inclusive hiring practices.
- Positive culture and general attitude of all staff.
- Highly respected and trusted leadership team, both by staff and community partners.
- Strong commitment to staff mental wellness and supports.
- Ambulance pilot projects (with support from Alberta Health Services).
Print this page