Fire Fighting in Canada

Headlines News
Sydney apartment fire started in mattress

Feb. 13, 2013, Sydney, N.S. -  A fire official says a fire that forced nine tenants out of a Sydney, N.S. apartment building started in a mattress in one of the apartments.

February 13, 2013  By The Canadian Press

Two residents, including the man whose mattress was the source of the fire, required hospital treatment Tuesday for minor burns and smoke inhalation.

Deputy fire chief for operations Richard Bulley says crews did a quick knockdown and the fire was confined to the apartment.

Bulley said it's not known when residents will be able to move back into their building, but some repairs will have to be made to the apartment where the fire began before it is livable.

The rest of the building sustained some water and smoke damage.


Print this page


Stories continue below