Fire Fighting in Canada

Headlines News
Unattended cooking sparked fatal Regina fire

Jan. 7, 2015, Regina - Investigators aren't sure yet if a Regina home where a fire killed a woman and a baby boy had a smoke alarm.

January 7, 2015 
By The Canadian Press

Firefighters were called to a home just east of downtown early yesterday after a passerby saw flames and pulled the woman and child from the home.

Fifty-eight-year-old Marilyn Tanner and her one-year-old grandson, Alonzo Tanner, were pronounced dead in hospital.

Deputy fire chief Gerard Kay says a city bylaw states rental properties must have a hard-wired smoke alarm, but investigators haven’t found one yet.

The fire started from a pot left on the stove.


Print this page


Stories continue below