U.S. LODD report released
Jan. 28, 2008
U.S. websites are reporting today the release of details surrounding the death of 24-year-old Virginia firefighter Kyle Wilson, who became trapped in the stairwell of a burning house on April 16.
By Carey Fredericks
An audio-visual account from the scene is chilling and clearly shows the high winds that challenged firefighers that day.
A report on the line-of-duty death says the major factors contributing to Wilson’s death were:
• The initial arriving fire suppression force size.
• The size up of fire development and spread.
• The impact of high winds on fire development and spread.
• The large structure size and lightweight construction and materials.
• The rapid intervention and firefighter rescue efforts.
• The incident control and management.
You can see the video here and the full report here. The video runs almost 15 minutes but it’s well worth watching. The report is a PDF and takes a few minutes to load.