Woman fined for using fireworks during drought
Aug. 21, 2015, Kamloops, B.C. - A woman in Kamloops, B.C., was all fired up to enjoy a special birthday celebration, but firefighters managed to douse her enthusiasm – and a growing blaze – just in time.
Kamloops Fire and Rescue captain Jeff Bell says flames were leaping from a cedar hedge surrounding a townhouse complex as crews arrived Thursday evening.
He says they quickly put out the blaze but were amazed to learn it was sparked by someone setting off fireworks.
Fireworks have been banned for weeks as most of the province endures a withering drought.
Bell says the woman, in her 40s, wanted to mark a special birthday and was mortified to learn of the danger she had caused, but she didn't get much sympathy.
She got a $250 fine.
August 21, 2015 By The Canadian Press
Print this page