Fire Fighting in Canada

Headlines News
Fire crews investigating after school evacuated

Nov. 4, 2015, Calgary - Officials have ruled out a carbon monoxide leak as the cause of several students becoming ill at a Calgary school.

Some students were feeling sick to their stomachs, nauseous and dizzy while in the music room Wednesday at Woodlands Elementary School in the city's southwest, said fire department spokeswoman Carol Henke.

The school was evacuated and 12 of the students who felt ill were taken to hospital as a precaution, she said. Two others were sent home with their parents.

The department's hazardous materials team and Atco Gas workers conducted tests, but found no gas leaks.

Henke said fire crews were conducting more tests and were likely to examine musical instruments in the band room where the students were in class.

"We are trying to use all our equipment to figure out what might be the cause,'' she said. "But it's a bit of a mystery right now.''

The rest of the school's students, about 260, were put on transit buses to keep warm, then transferred to another location, said Henke. They returned later in the day.

November 4, 2015 
By The Canadian Press

Print this page


Stories continue below