Fire Fighting in Canada

Headlines News
Toronto hotdog vendor seriously burned after falling asleep against heater

Dec 7, 2007 - Toronto - A hotdog vendor in Toronto is in hospital with serious burns to his back after he fell asleep against a space heater and set his jacket on fire in front of horrified bystanders.

December 11, 2007
By The Canadian Press

TORONTO – A
hotdog vendor in Toronto is in hospital with serious burns to his back
after he fell asleep against a space heater and set his jacket on fire
in front of horrified bystanders.

The man was selling hotdogs in front of the downtown Union Station terminal overnight and apparently dozed off.

A
few passersby saw the vendor with his entire back on fire, and Maurice
Steele says at first he thought it was some sort of stunt.

But he quickly realized it was not, and he rushed to rip the jacket off the vendor.

Advertisment

The
man's shirt had also caught fire, and Steele says bystanders were
yelling at the vendor to roll on the ground, but he wouldn't.

Steele
says he had to knock the man to the ground before he rolled to
extinguish the flames – but not before he suffered second- and
third-degree burns to his back. (CTV)