Mar. 28, 2018, Bancroft, Ont. - Provincial police say a fire that claimed the life of a 74-year-old woman at a retirement residence earlier this month in central Ontario was caused by careless smoking.
March 28, 2018
By The Canadian Press
Police say officers responded to a call of a fatal fire at about 4 a.m. on March 15 at the R.J. Brooks Retirement Centre in Bancroft, Ont.
The fire prompted the evacuation of the facility and all residents were moved to a nearby church.
Bancroft OPP, Bancroft Fire Department, Ontario Fire Marshall’s Office and the Office of the Chief Coroner took part in the investigation.
Officials identified the victim Tuesday as Margaret Kellestine of Brancroft.
Print this page
- New study indicates double risk of cancer fatality for firefighters
- Woman unaccounted for after house fire in Pickering