Fire Fighting in Canada

Headlines News
Lighter sparks fire at laundromat

A resident of Beaverton, Ont., in the Township of Brock, was drying clothes at the local laundromat on June 23 and had left a butane lighter in a pants pocket. The surveillance camera caught the incident as it unfolded; smoke in the building activated the smoke alarm. When the Brock Township Fire Department, Station 3, Beaverton, arrived on the scene there was no fire, but the laundromat was filled with smoke. As the officer in charge and his crew entered the laundromat to perform size up, it was discovered that damage was minimal: some clothes in the dryer were singed, the dryer’s thermostat was damaged and had to be replaced and there was some minimal heat damage on the bottom panel. The owner of the laundromat credits the minimal damage to the quick response of the fire department. Photo by
firefighter Mike Gillespie, Station 3.


July 4, 2011 
By Fire Fighting in Canada

Print this page


Stories continue below