www.firefightingincanada.com

Headlines News
No new talks planned in Nova Scotia paramedics dispute


June 28, 2013
By The Canadian Press

June 28, 2013, Halifax – The company representing hundreds of paramedics in Nova Scotia says it has met with the union and no new talks are planned ahead of a potential strike next week.

June 28, 2013, Halifax – The company representing hundreds of paramedics in Nova Scotia says it has met with the union and no new talks are planned ahead of a potential strike next week.

Stacey Brown, a spokeswoman with Emergency Medical Care Inc., says officials with the company and Local 727 of the International Union of Operating Engineers returned to the table today with a conciliator.

Brown says the company wanted to clarify the union's position and that was accomplished.

The union could not be reached for comment.

It's been more than a week since the paramedics rejected the last tentative deal.

Labour Minister Frank Corbett refused to say Thursday whether the government would legislate the 800 paramedics back to work in the event of a strike next Friday.

But he added that legislation would not take long to write, if necessary.

Last week, union members voted 73 per cent against a deal that would have given paramedics a defined benefits pension plan and wage increases.


Print this page

Related



Leave a Reply

Your email address will not be published. Required fields are marked *

*